Thursday, April 28, 2005

These words were chosen carefully

Are we still saying "awesome"? It was my adjective of choice forever and ever but I've found it dropping out of my vocabulary lately in favor of "fantastic." I'm pretty sure I picked that up from someone at work, who has a great way of saying it--"FANtastic"--that matches her personality perfectly. I use it in a much more straightforward way: "Seen Showdog Moms & Dads? It's fantastic." Isn't it weird how your vocabulary changes over the years? The other day I noticed that N. said something (that I wish I could remember because it would make this story much more interesting and worthy of being told) that I realize I say a lot too. I couldn't figure out who brought the saying to the relationship. Weird.

Is it wrong to be fascinated by the wording on product packaging? I never noticed my obsession till last week. I was eating out of a carton of ice cream (of course) in front of the TV (of course) with N. Suddenly, he said, "What's so exciting on that carton??" I guess he noticed I'd been reading the thing for a while. You know, they put the words there to be read! That's someone's job, after all. Maybe as a word-worker myself, I can appreciate that. Every little thing that exists was made by someone doing his or her job. That kinda blows me away a little. Like, the design of this Blistex tube, maybe that was someone's most brilliant invention. Maybe s/he went home that night and said, "Hey, honey, I just revoluntionized the lip balm industry!"

Hey, does a cherry bomb actually look like a real cherry? Just wondering, because as I was waiting for the elevator at work this morning, I noticed that someone had put a cherry in the little gap in the fire alarm box.

Speaking of work, it occurred to me that if my employer is so concerned about promoting TV-Turnoff week so we can limit a potentially hours-long sedentary activity, they should just give me an hour off my hours-long sedentary desk job so I can go to the gym! I just rememebered the other day that I actually BELONG to a gym. I couldn't tell you the last time I was there...and I don't even have a good excuse this time. Oh wait! I just remembered, I actually belong to TWO gyms! The old one came crawling back, begging me to renew again, so I did. It was only $99 for the year, so I figured, why not? I should definitely cancel that $40/month crap that's being automatically charged to my credit card every month, though. I'll add that to the intern's to-do list.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We still say awesome here at the office, but I have a sneaking suspicion we're making fun of my boss, who says AWEsome all the time, and sometimes with irony. Maybe it's a Philly thing. It's so fetch.

April 29, 2005 6:34 PM  
Blogger JBMolina said...

I say AWESOME all the time too. I think it is a Philly thing. But I'm not giving it up.

I'm awesome.

April 29, 2005 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home