Tuesday, May 24, 2005

In which the vision of my bank account dwindling doesn't hurt (too much)

So, I'm watching a show (the name of which will remain anonymous to protect the innocent...the innocent being my cool reputation) about girls who have escaped from a polygamist cult. They'd been raised to believe that men are superior, that getting married off to an old man at age 14 is normal and expected, that sharing that old husband with 20 other women is the way to heaven, and among other things, that dinosaurs never existed.

Somehow, the girls on the show had the idea that they should get out of this lifestyle, and at the risk of losing everything they've ever known to be true, escaped. Now they're struggling with the idea that they might go to hell because they've left the lifestyle. Shown dinosaur bones at museum, they still weren't sure if they believed in their existence. It made me think, you know. I can't imagine being pulled out of this lifestyle and being told that everything I know is wrong. How do you start to believe that? But, I think that with these girls, they were finally beginning to see that they could control their own lives, they didn't have to do everything they were told, and they certainly didn't have to marry a man just because they were told it was time. They specifically said that they were happy just being able to make decisions for themselves.

I guess what I'm taking a long time getting to is that we should appreciate being able to make a decision, any decision, about our lives. We can do anything we want. Pick a career, any career! Go on vacation, any vacation! Empty the dishwasher tomorrow...or never! Get a dog, get a cat, get a plasma TV! Jump up on the couch to declare your love, however retarded you may look (I'm talking to you, Tom Cruise)! Eat ice cream for dinner! Pay your bills in pennies! The point is, if it makes you happy and won't land you in jail, don't question it! Do it! Rah, rah, rah! Up With People! (I really should look that up before I reference it, but I'm too lazy.)

OK, time for Rob and Amber to get married now. See ya!

1 Comments:

Blogger JBMolina said...

I just spent three weeks in Philly. I'm appreciating the EFF out of everything.

May 25, 2005 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home