Wednesday, August 31, 2005

More from the "what could go wrong?" department

So, every day since this whole moving thing has come into play, something has gone wrong. At first it was a little funny, but now I'm wondering what I did to piss off karma so much (I'm also questioning the training of people who answer phones at various utility companies. I'm sure they're all very nice people. I'm just sayin').

The first thing to go wrong:
-The very morning after I sent in a form telling the postal service to start forwarding my mail September 1 (let's say that was around August 23), I checked my often-neglected mailbox. I saw the mail in there, wondered what the important-looking envelope was, and left it in there to pick up after work. After work, I return to collect my mail and the box is empty, junk mail and all.

The second thing to go wrong:
-I wake up to no hot water in my current apartment. I panic, thinking LADWP has turned off my power, and then realize that I've just been woken by the radio alarm and the lights are all on.

The third thing to go wrong:
-I call MCI, who provides both local and long-distance service to me, to tell them I'm moving and would like to cancel my phone service as of September 4. The guy says, "Okay, your phone service is now canceled." I say, "As of September 4, right?" He says, "Yeah, September 4." I go home the next night and attempt to call Chicago. My long-distance service has been disconnected (but not my local, so tell me what went wrong there).

The next thing to go wrong:
-I call to update my address on my car insurance. The guy tells me my premium will not increase. Woo! Something's gone right! I come home to a voicemail telling me he was wrong, and in fact, they'll be asking for an additional $800 annually. But, in order to get that message, I had to practically jump through hoops because my usual MCI voicemail retrieval system had been disconnected. Oh, and that day when I came home, I checked my mail on a whim. The junk mail and Time magazine reappeared, but not the real mail.

The next thing to go wrong:
-The day after I call Citi Cards to change my billing address, I try to use the card at a gas station. I input my new zip code, the machine rejects it, and makes me go inside to pay.

The next thing (which brings us up to today, just now in fact) to go wrong:
-I get home to a voicemail from Citi Cards about fraudulent activity on my credit card. It turns out there's an extra $100 charge on my card from that gas station, which may or may not show up on my bill according to the guy on the phone. Someone remind me to check my next bill carefully, please.

It's been an interesting week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home