Sunday, July 24, 2005

Five paragraphs about last week

Boy, time flies. I meant to update as soon as we got back from Chicago, but somehow over the last week I forgot I had a blog (not that anyone's reading it, but still).

Chicago was a good time. We arrived a little later than expected, got a ride to our hotel from N's friend, checked in, and walked straight over to Uno's, which was right next door. At 11:30 p.m., there was a 45-minute wait (we think. There seemed to be a slight communication problem with the hostess. Maybe it was our accents.), so we went to Due's instead, where we sat right down. Note to future Chicago tourists: It's the same thing! Anyway, we had pizza (or pizza tops, in the case of those of us who are avoiding carbs) and a few drinks, took a walk in the opposite direction we meant to go, then made it back to the hotel, where we were so happy to have air conditioning to sleep in, we turned it down to like 30 degrees. I swear, it was freezing in there!

The next day was the wedding, which was fun. The reception hall actually had an Irish pub right inside it, so N's friends all spent a good-ass chunk of the wedding pulled up to the bar and a pint (or what have you). The wedding started at noon. We tried to leave the reception/pub around 7 p.m., till we were dragged back in by a guy who N's "boyz" had gone to high school with (later, N admitted he had no idea who the guy was). I swear, we were getting in the car when the guy called us in. I was so tired and wine-full that I might've done a little whining about going back in (I think my exact words were, "So close! SO close!"). So, we spent a couple more hours at the pub, stumbling out around 9:30, at which time we shoved 6 good-sized people in a car meant for 5. That was fun. I feel very close to some of those people now. Later, we tried to go out and "party" some more. We ended up at a bar ordering food and drinks, and eventually petering out earlier than planned. Fun, but man, were we tired. So overtired, in fact, that N and I had the biggest giggling fit ever, which prevented much-desired sleep for quite a long time.

The next day was spent at N's mom's place, where N's family (mom, sister, niece, nephew) and mine (mom, stepfather) had a lovely luncheon laid out by N's mom. Everyone got along nicely and nothing was spilled (believe me, this is an issue with my stepfather). The next day I went shopping with my mom (for being in a really hot and humid city, I spent way too much time freezing my ass off! I'll never understand why stores, who have to know you're dressed for extreme heat, will turn up the air so high that you can't shop without wrapping your arms around yourself or at least borrowing one of the store's SALE sweaters.).

All in all, a nice trip. This weekend, N and I dragged the mattress from my room into the living room in front of the air conditioning unit and spent quite of bit of time there watching TV (I added the "watching TV" part, though it really is true, so you didn't think I was bragging about spending the whole weekend in bed). It was like indoor camping! We also saw two movies, Wedding Crashers and The Island, which I've just lost the energy to talk about. Plus, this is already too long (I'm sure you've stopped reading by now. I've always known you were a quitter.), and the air conditioner that I'm sitting right in front of is freezing my ass off. Must move to couch!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a quitter! And I've been considering posting a snitty message about where your posts have disappeared to, so I'm glad to see a post, so I don't have to do that.

Honestly.

July 24, 2005 6:19 PM  
Blogger JBMolina said...

I used to love dragging my mattress into air conditioned rooms. I used to do it at my mom's house. It was so fun to camp out in my own living room.

I heard "The Island" tanked. Was it bad?

July 25, 2005 8:52 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Ah, The Island. I really liked it...until it ended up dragging out 30 minutes longer than necessary. I would've been perfectly content with the ending that occurred at the 2-hour mark. After 2 1/2, I was pretty annoyed. It's got some good stuff, but I dunno if I want to be responsible for your seeing it, so don't.

July 25, 2005 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just watch the first hour of "Logans Run" and then the freeway chase from Terminater 3 and it's almost the same thing.

July 26, 2005 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home