Friday, June 23, 2006

Why I prefer to stay anonymous, thanks.

The internet is a weird and scary place. And its web is so sticky! We're all tangled in it, aren't we? Some of us are stuck closer to others. Case in point:

When I'm bored at work (ha! "when"!), I often visit and linger at chowhound.com(which I've mentioned before, I know). I've been there enough that I recognize a lot of the prolific posters and lean toward reading their posts. Anyway, there's one poster (who I will do the honor of keeping anonymous, though after you read this, it won't make much sense about why I would need to) who I particularly seek out because she writes fun stuff that I enjoy reading (she seems like a funky, out-on-the-town party girl, and while I'm pretty much the opposite of that, I appreciate her quirky style).

[Here I'm skipping over the stalker-y part of the story where I found her myspace page a few months ago. I'm harmless, really. But you know that already.]

Now, here's where it gets interesting (maybe). Today, she added a link on one of her chowhound posts to a personal web site. I visit the site, and it's a full-blown, all-my-information-for-the-whole-world-to-see, make-myself-vunerable-to-all-kinds-of-internet-stalker-shenanigans site, with her resume and email and phone numbers included. When I read her resume, I realize that, whoa, she totally worked in the same place at the same time as my friend L! I shoot an email to L asking if she knows her, and yep, she does. And she has all kinds of scoop about her personal life, and now I know way too much about a girl who likes to post little reviews of restaurants online.

Yeah, so that was that thing. It seemed more interesting when I just had it in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home