Sunday, March 27, 2005

It's not a memorable weekend till you see a Friend

What made this weekend different from any other weekend? A celebrity sighting! I not only saw, but made meaningful eye contact with…David Schwimmer. He saw me looking and knew I knew him but I hope he also knew I was doing that thing where I acknowledge that I know who he is but I'm cool enough to not make a big deal out of it.

Meanwhile, I know I've neglected to talk about some things I said I would so I'm going to address them now.

1. The psychology of the pedometer. There's a new movement for people to get more exercise and become generally healthier just by doing more walking. The idea is to maintain good health by walking 10,000 steps a day (5 miles). You can measure your progress with a pedometer. I have one and needless to say, it takes a lot of effort just to get to 5,000 steps! But, when I do remember to wear it, I find myself pacing while waiting for elevators, getting up from my desk more often, and taking more stairs just to see the numbers go up. When I don't wear it, though I'd get the exact same health benefit, I feel silly doing any of those things. Lame, I know, but it's true.

2. TV Head. If I were a superhero and a period of time could be an enemy, TV Turnoff Week would be my nemesis! I was introduced to TV Turnoff last year at work. The idea is that you're encouraged to turn the TV off for a week and be more active. Knowing that I'm a huge TV fan, one of the big bosses challenged me to participate for the week. Ha! A week! After much "good natured" bullying, I gave in to one night. It was an interesting experience that I wish never to repeat again…but I managed to gloss over that fact in an article I wrote for our internal web site. Anyway, so TV Turnoff Week is coming around again soon and someone at work brought up this comic book that was created for it about a kid named TV Head. He watched so much TV that his head turned into a TV! All the other kids made fun of him and shunned him till he watched less TV. All I know is, if there were a kid at my school who had a TV for a head, he'd be my very best friend! I'd spend countless hours staring into his eyes and pressing his buttons (hee!).

3. Word for PCs is smarter than Word for Macs. I notice that when I use Word at home on my iBook, it doesn't recognize and autocorrect as many mistakes as it does at work. I'd like to think that the philosophy is that Mac users wouldn't need as much help with silly things like spelling, but I think it's probably more likely something like Bill Gates wants Mac users to produce documents with more typos to get back at us for not buying his stuff. Bastard.

Thing I watched on TV this weekend that we shall never speak of again: New York Minute, starring the Olsen twins. Yeah, so what about it? A friend--who shall remain nameless and even initial-less for the sake of her own reputation--came over, we ordered in food, and watched, so shut up. Oh yeah, and it sucked. But you knew that already.

4 Comments:

Blogger JBMolina said...

Bill Gates is just jealous that he's not cool enough to be a Mac person.

TV Turnoff week is WRONG. We need to start an organization to protest it.

I knew what a pedometer was, I just didn't know there was a whole psychology behind it. Maybe I'll dig mine out of the junk drawer.

March 29, 2005 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a TV Head action figure!

Then again, in order for such a thing to exist, the character would need to be much more popular... say, like Spongebob. I know -- Nickelodeon should make TV Head into an animated series! Maybe TV Head is actually COOL because he has a TV for a head! So what if you lose the whole "message" thing? Make him gay like Spongebob and have him hit on other gay TV Heads with the line "would you like me to plug my coaxial into your backside?"

March 29, 2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the sole property of me. That's my pedometer psychology. It's copyrighted!

I'd like a TV Head figure too! I bet he'd like to play with my TiVo doll...if I had one, that is. Hey, did I mention my birthday is just around the corner?

March 29, 2005 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I HATE Autocorrect! Stop thinking for me, The Man! I reject your smart quotes!

April 02, 2005 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home