Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Um, I forget, but I'm sure it has something to do with something

I'm just in from my weekly dinner with my dad, during which I tried to explain the magic that is iPod. I think he actually got it, amazingly, though the concept of buying music over the internet was baffling to him. And somehow he had the impression that iPods cost $1,000. He’d been in an Apple store with his girlfriend and her kids at some point and thought he saw a thousand-dollar iPod. I concluded that he was looking at a computer.

Here’s something I’ve been meaning to write about but I keep forgetting to (the irony of that will catch up with you in one second). My brain has not been working right lately. Things just fall out of my head, never to be recovered. I have the memory of a woman three times my age! And you know, I didn't mean this to happen, but I can't think of one example to tell you about. I'm sure I'll think of something later and then forget it. But, funnily enough, at dinner my dad and I were both doing the poor-memory struggle to think of the name of that deadpan comedian who does jokes like: How do you know when you’re out of invisible ink? Sadly, it was my much-older dad who came up with the right answer: Steven Wright.

On the way home just now I heard one of my favorite lyrics from a Destiny's Child (I know, not what you’d expect from me, but I can be urban) song called something like Bills (okay, not that urban): "…pay my automo-bill…" I find that very clever and Homer-like. If that’s not actually the lyric, please don’t tell me and burst my bubble.

Thing I had a problem with on TV last night: Okay, so on Fat Actress, there was a conversation about a dog between Kirstie Alley and the-actress-formerly-known-as-Blossom (I do know her name, I just choose to call her Blossom) in which KA mistakenly refers to Blossom’s dog as a “he” and is reprimanded and corrected. Then the dog is handed over to Blossom and there’s a quite visible and very large doggie wiener there! (Ha, I just thought of something…it was a dachshund—a wiener dog!) Anyway, why make such a big production over the dog’s sex when you don’t have an anatomically correct animal actor? I dunno, it just bugs.

Things I just remembered I was going to talk about (see what I mean about the brain?) that I’ll get to tomorrow: TV Head, finding a new name for “N.” and how Word for PCs is much smarter than Word for Macs (I think Gates has it in for Apple people).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is Word for PCs better? I don't believe you. On the iPod front, I actually did iPod research the other day, to try and convince myself to blow that chunk of change.

I can't watch any of these Showtime shows. It makes me sad.

March 24, 2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger JBMolina said...

I can't believe you're still watching Fat Actress! And looking at dog weiners!

I have some name suggestions for N. --
Yingeebert Dangleban... Zanglebert Dingleback... Winglebert Humptiback... or my favorite Slupbum Waller.

March 24, 2005 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe all of those names have already been licensed by George Lucas for naming characters in the new Star Wars movie.

March 24, 2005 1:02 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Tigerpants: Get an iPod for your birthday! Everyone's doing it!

Eclektra!: I gave Fat Actress the old "you have three times to impress me" try (remember when I did that with you guys?). It's gotten a little better each week. And I like all those names, though these names I have to call you guys are making me feel so silly!

Gonzo (whomever you may be): Boy, you sure are funny! If only I didn't already have a boyfriend...

March 24, 2005 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about referring to "N" as "Q"? Just for the hell of it.

It also has the hella-cool Star Trek and James Bond connotations. AND, best of all, if he and I ever get around to taking our SCUBA lessons, you can say "Q-Bert went diving today" and it'll actually mean something!

March 25, 2005 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you really use "hella-cool," "Star Trek," and "James Bond" all in the same sentence? I think not.

March 25, 2005 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home