Monday, February 12, 2007

An open letter to the video game industry

Dear Nintendo and Playstation Bigwigs:

You owe us. You owe us big time! N and I have had two very successful video game gatherings that have resulted in the following purchases by our guests immediately after having experienced video game magic in our home:

  • 2 Nintendo Wii systems
  • 1 Guitar Hero game and controller (actually, I think we were instrumental—no pun intended—in an earlier Guitar Hero purchase as well, so let’s change that to 2 Guitar Hero games and controllers)


These are just preliminary numbers. I’d like to also take credit for any future Wii video game purchases made by those Wii system buyers (you can’t own a game system without buying games for it). I estimate the early totals come to approximately $650 (including additional Wiimotes and nunchucks) for Nintendo purchases and $140 for Playstation. Nintendo can also expect future income of $50 for each purchase of Wario Ware Smooth Moves, which I’m sure our latest party elevated to “must-have” status.

All this being said, I think it’s reasonable to ask for some sort of acknowledgement for creating consumers out of previously indifferent citizens. I don’t need money (though I’d take it!), but perhaps you could toss some freebies our way. Maybe some copies of new games before they’re released? We'll expose our friends to them and bump up your sales when the games are released. Perhaps a couple free Wiimotes, so we can get our doubles tennis on? Free Virtual Nintendo downloads? A poster for our game room wall?

If you don’t like those ideas, I’d also be willing to accept a few bucks to help pay for the chicken wings and booze.

In any case, I’m not saying you should pay us to have fun. We love your products and have purchased them willingly. What I’m saying is, we got people who hadn’t even given a second thought to gaming to buy the Wii. And isn’t that what a great salesperson does? Encourage our gift of sales with a reward. Please?

Oh, and hey, Sony, if you’re listening? We might also have sold a 50-inch TV for you. Just thought you’d like to know.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe we've actually sold THREE Wii systems to friends... you may wish to adjust your calculations accordingly

February 12, 2007 12:45 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

While I'd like to take credit for all three, I think A&R were in the process of buying one before they actually came to our house (unless you were thinking of someone else I'm missing).

February 12, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger JBMolina said...

52 inches baby!!! We win!!!

February 13, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Wait. Did you guys go out and buy a new TV??? SONY! Can you here me??

February 14, 2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

P.S. Julie, when should we come over?

February 14, 2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Crap! I wrote "here" instead of "hear"!! That's what I get for commenting before coffee-ing.

February 14, 2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger Tigerpants said...

Sometimes the comments are just as entertaining as the blog! And I always misspell things in the comments.

and my boss and her boyfriend that live down the street from you, jules, got a 60-something inch, so they win.

February 14, 2007 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home