Thursday, December 28, 2006

Double celebrity sighting

Last weekend we walked up to the Farmer's Market to grab some breakfast and a token of appreciation to bring to our party hosts for that evening. We ate at the little outdoor cafe there, whose name I actually don’t know (I know that ALL the Farmer’s Market eating establishments are outdoors, but this is the one that has sit-down wait-staff service). Anyway, as we’re sitting there looking at the menu we’re distracted by the conversation at the table next to us. There’s a guy going on and on about Battlestar Galactica. His two dining companions hardly said a word, and seemed to not be able to get out of there fast enough. When they finally left, I was all set to talk about the Battlestar geek, but N said, "That guy was someone." So I said, "The Battlestar geek?" and he said, "No, the other guy," who, of course, I barely got a glance at. N said he thought he was in a band or something, but couldn’t quite place who he was.*

After breakfast, we headed to Littlejohn’s Candies, where N was too distracted by all the choices to notice a guy kind of cut in front of us to order his load (four one-pound boxes of toffee and all manner of inquiries about other bits and pieces behind the glass). It took me about a second and a half to realize it was Giovanni Ribisi, though he looked very little and his hair was shorter than I’ve seen it. His voice was spot-on, though, and what sealed the deal was a viewing of a recent Jimmy Kimmel episode on Tivo, which confirmed the new short hair. Anyway, N didn’t even see him or hear him or anything! And he’s the one who’s always, always pointing out the most random "celebrities" to me when we're around town.

*Finally, four days later, N said to me, "Hey, I figured out who that guy was! It was a Phish band member!" So there you go.

P.S. If you're Giovanni Ribisi and you did NOT actually buy candy at the Farmer's Market on Sunday, feel free to correct me.

P.P.S. I'm going to Aruba on Tuesday.

3 Comments:

Blogger JBMolina said...

What if I'm Giovanni Ribisi and I just don't know it?

You're going to Aruba? WHAT?? Did you win a contest?

Thanks for the thoughtful toffee, by the way. It's delightful!

December 28, 2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

I did not win a contest. I'll explain more later.

December 30, 2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Tigerpants said...

I especially like the explanation of Aruba. It's almost as random as Aruba itself.

December 31, 2006 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home