Tuesday, April 04, 2006

At least the house didn't burn down

Have you ever used a crockpot? My first early birthday present (well, besides the Cat Fancy, which, really, how can you beat?) was a crockpot. N and I were pretty excited about the thing, running out Sunday morning (okay, afternoon) to buy ingredients for a brisket (hi, have I mentioned we're Jewish?), which turned out fantastic beyond our expectations. So of course I spent all day online reading crockpot recipe sites (I mean working). I picked what had to be the easiest one out there: whole chicken, bottle of barbecue sauce, set on low while you go to work. I happily got up a few minutes early today, dropped the chicken into the pot, covered it with the sauce, flipped the switch, and went on my merry way to work (where I spent only half the day looking for more recipes).

I just got home, and well, it looks...good? (You tell me.) I poked it with a fork and the meat just fell off, which is a good sign, but it fell off into this pool of oil, which I assume is the remains of what used to be chicken skin. That's kind of gross. The tiny piece I tasted was alright, but a little bland and, well, oily (and oddly dry at the same time). The top pieces of chicken are looking a little burny, and come to think of it, the whole house smells a little burny. I think the problem here is that I'm away from the house too long, what with that horrid commute and all, and chickens just aren't supposed to be in there all day, especially with the skin still attached. Next time I'm going boneless. Oh yes, there will be a next time! (But first we've gotta cook up that second brisket we bought on Sunday. I told you we were excited!)

9 Comments:

Blogger JBMolina said...

I can't lie, that doesn't look appetizing. The bland thing is a crockpot problem, unfortunately. You have to extra up all the spices.

April 06, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TV,

It's me, DC girl. I'm a crock potter myself and have had not one, but two "burny" incedents with my crock. One involved cranberries and the other your beloved BBQ sauce. I've found that if I'm going to leave it home alone all day I stay away from the thicker (not water based) sugary substances. If you don't catch it in time they make a big mess. And yeah, I still check in everyonce in a while. Hi.

DC

April 06, 2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Hey, look everyone (all three of you), it's my DC friend! Feel free to pipe in anytime (ignore the other riff raff).

That's funny, I was just wondering about making cranberries in that thing. But I won't now. Meanwhile, we've got Brisket #2 in the pot as we speak. I'm expecting great things.

April 06, 2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Oh, hey, E, that thing you made that time in the big thing? With the meat? Was that in a crockpot? Can we have that recipe? (I'll trade you for my Burnt-Bland BBQ Chicken recipe!)

April 06, 2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger AnneMarieNes said...

This is chiming in

April 06, 2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Ha! That's funny! By the way, if that's a picture of your kid, he sure is cute!

April 06, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger JBMolina said...

THAT IS HER KID! HE'S A SWEETIE PEETIE.

I'M CHIMING TOO.

WHY AM I YELLING!?

I'll give you the recipe post haste... but you won't like it. You have to buy a meat slicer. But maybe you can borrow ours.

April 06, 2006 10:28 PM  
Blogger ITurnedOutTV said...

Shhh! Sheesh! Anyway, can't you just eat the meat in big chunks?

April 07, 2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger AnneMarieNes said...

yes, its him! thanks :-)

April 16, 2006 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home